Computational thinking is a problem-solving process that involves looking at possible solutions abstractly and algorithmically, in a series of ordered steps. People who are able to think in this way tend to be good at generalizing and transferring this problem-solving process to a wide variety of problems. Computational thinking has been hailed as having the potential to foster a new culture of learning in which creativity is rewarded and people are encouraged to experiment, so how can you introduce it in your lessons?
In addition to the presentations slides, the resources below are a selection of papers, learning materials and presentations related to the creative computing approach for K12
- Position paper on the creative uses of technologies:
- Romero, M., Laferriere, T., & Power, T. M. (2016).The Move is On! From the Passive Multimedia Learner to the Engaged Co-creator. eLearn, 2016(3), 1.
- “Vibot the robot” a children’s book for introducing programming and educational robotics for everyone (5 to 95 years old). The book is available as ePub, pdf or paperback: https://www.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/cspq/fr/Catalogue/Sant%C3%A9%2C-famille-et-enfance/978-2-551-25886-4/p/978-2-551-25886-4
- The learning to code activities are freely available here: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/1999251/
- Research paper on the different creative programming activities that can be developed when learning through coding (VS learning to code). http://www.slideshare.net/margarida.romero/romero-etal2016cidui5-levelsprogramming
- #5c21. A 21st century skills proposal based on the five key skills for the 21st century education and the need for co-creative project oriented activities. https://margaridaromero.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/5c21-5-key-skills-for-21st-century-education/
- Educational Robotics (ER), a privileged tool for the development of the 21st century skills.
- Slides: http://fr.slideshare.net/margarida.romero/edulearn16-cocreatic-educational-robotics-from-procedural-learning-to-cocreative-project-oriented-challenges-with-lego-wedo
- Poster: http://fr.slideshare.net/margarida.romero/5c21-educational-robotics-for-sustaining-the-development-of-the-21st-century-skills
Interative tree map of the #CoCreaTIC resources : http://www.spicynodes.org/a/3885f14a0fac03cd86fad95aeb8e9883